Some foreign workers who hold occupations listed in the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)may be eligible to apply for the Skilled Independent Subclass 189 Visa. The MLTSSL replaces the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).
The Subclass 189 Visa is a permanent resident visa for points-tested skilled workers to work legally in Australia. The visa requires the person to successfully complete a skills assessment. This visa does not require you to be sponsored by an employer or family member, or nominated by a state or territory government.
Under the Subclass 189 Visa, you can:
• Work, live and study in Australia
• Enjoy Medicare (state-run health care program) benefits
• Travel to and from Australia for up to five years
• Sponsor family members for permanent residency
• Apply for citizenship if eligible
To apply for the Subclass 189 Visa you must lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect and be asked by the Australian government to apply. There are criteria you will need to fulfill to be eligible, including:
• Meet the points score for the skilled migration points test – the pass score currently is 60
• Be between 16-49 years of age
• Pass the skills assessment
• Demonstrate English competency
• Meet health and character requirements
The Australian government gives you a 60-day deadline to apply for the visa once an invitation is sent to you. Migrating to Australia from overseas is complicated because it may be difficult for you to seek assistance or obtain clarification once your application has been submitted.
A far better option is to engage the services of a qualified and experienced migration agent based in Australia. Some of the things the migration agent can help you with include:
• Advising you on the right visa category to apply for based on your strengths
• Advising strategies to get the maximum score
• Assisting with your skills assessment application and the ‘Expression of Interest’
• Assisting with the visa application, including advising you on the supporting documents required
• Checking application and supporting documents to make sure you are submitting the correct information
• Follow up and updates of your application
• Advising you of any changes to laws and regulations that may affect your application
For more information on how we can help you with your visa application, contact us today.