The parent migration program enables settled Australian citizens, permanent residents and eligible NZ citizens to sponsor their parents to migrate to Australia.
All Parent Visas have specific eligibility requirements and your parent visa options will depend on factors such as:
• Whether your child is deemed eligible to be your sponsor
• How many children you have permanently living in Australia
• How many children you have permanently outside of Australia
• Your age and whether you satisfy the health and character requirements
• Whether you are applying from in or outside
• How much financial support you will be able to receive from your family, assurer of support or organisation while in Australia
It’s important to note that the Australian Government caps the number of parent visas granted each year, resulting in lengthy waiting periods for some Parent Visa pathways. Whilst some visas have extremely long processing times, others are usually processed within a reasonable timeframe.
Visitor Visas for Parents
For many people, a permanent parent visa may be out of reach financially as well as practicality when it comes to the lengthy processing times of non-contributory parent visas.
A visitor visa may be a fast and inexpensive alternative to bring parents to spend time with family in Australia. Longer validity visitor visas are available for parents of Australian permanent residents and citizens.
Parents of Australian permanent residents and citizens currently have the option of using the Visitor (Subclass 600) visa stream to spend time with their children, which enable longer stays in Australia of up to 12 months in any 18 month period.
If you need assistance with your Parent Visa application or if you are interested in applying for a Parent Visa, we encourage you to contact our team at Migrate with Us.